Leisure & Fitness Advisor (Kimberley Leisure Centre)
Closing Date: 13th August 2023
Grade: Grade 4
Responsible to: Operations Supervisor
Responsible for: No responsibility for employees
- Responsible for the operation of the Swimming Pools, Gym and Studios and maintaining customer behaviour within the facility.
- Ensure an efficient, safe and friendly service to all members and participants.
- Complete a range of duties that contribute towards the delivery of the company’s business plan.
- Assisting with Front of House operations, selling memberships, conducting tours and the customer journey experience.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Delivering high quality lifeguarding and supervision of the Swimming Pools. Ensure the Health and Safety Commission’s ‘Safety In Swimming Pool’s’ guidance is applied and the swimming
pools’ operating procedures are followed. Make certain that customers swim safely, and proactively manage and control their behaviour within the pools in a variety of activity sessions. Maintain discipline in the pool, following established procedures and Emergency Action Plans including the decision to remove swimmers from the pools. Set up and take down equipment appropriate to each swimming activity. Perform lifesaving duties and rescues to swimmers where necessary.
2. Provide high quality customer service in the Gym and Studios to ensure that the provision meets the expectations of the leisure centre customers and visitors, including:
- Manage the admittance of customers into the activity areas and assist customers using facilities, including education in the safe and appropriate use of equipment.
- Creatively design exercise programmes for customers using the ICT Technogym Prescribe system or similar.
- Promote and utilise appropriate technology to assist in the engagement and retention of members such as the MyWellness system and Tanita.
- Provide advice and instruction, including inductions to the Gym and Studios.
- To identify customer needs and expectations, to deliver service requests, ensuring the customer receives an effective service by being efficient, knowledgeable and consistent in delivery.
- Responsible for managing the customers, including their behaviour and discipline whilst on site.
3. Working within a team, effectively listening and communicating to colleagues and customers via different channels, resolving conflict, building rapport, influencing others, problem solving, planning and making decisions. Take ownership of customer enquiries and complaints to seek a suitable resolution.
4. Utilise the company’s customer journey to maximise efficiency, enhance the customer experience and ensure the flow of participants to their designated activity area:
- Conduct facility tours for potential members and apply appropriate sales techniques
- Utilise ICT to make contact with new members as part of their customer journey, via telephone, email, sms, social media etc.
- Proactively encourage facility use to current and prospective customers, communicating the health benefits of exercise, inspiring members to attend frequently and non-members to join.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of all memberships, activities and facilities.
5. Provide advice and instruction on health issues such as diet, nutrition, smoking, physiology, anatomy, stress, back care, ante/postnatal care. Sensitively liaise with and provide instruction to targeted groups such as GP exercise referral, mental health and cardiac rehabilitation groups.
6. Conduct and document health and safety checks, including fire exits, security and assistance required alarms, lifeguarding equipment, gym equipment, etc. Report any defective or hazardous items and complete quality assurance checks, ensuring equipment, facilities and activities are safe and fit for use. Ensure that all work schedules are documented by the accurate completion of check / control sheets or via the electronic Workflow Asset Management System or similar. Proactively plan ahead, setting up and taking down equipment for all activities and events ensuring the smooth operation of activities across the facility.
7. Complete essential maintenance tasks and minor repairs. Clean and maintain gym equipment, pool equipment, spin bikes and studio equipment. Complete routine cleaning across service areas. Accept deliveries, move materials and equipment around the centre as required. Restock vending machines, completing stock control sheets.
8. Be the nominated on-site First Aid at Work person, responsible for administering first aid to customers, recording near misses, and completion of all documentation in line with H&S legislative requirements.
9. Assist with changing marketing displays; ensure that information presented is up to date and reviewed to keep customers informed of existing and new opportunities. Support the company in the delivery of events and activities and engage in promotional campaigns throughout the year.
10. Manage and protect sensitive customer information in accordance with relevant legislation. Ensure that the terms of the General Data Protections Regulations are adhered to, confidentiality is maintained at all times and the guidelines for the release of information are followed.
11. To support the Customer Service Leaders and Operational Managers in the day-to-day operational management of the service. Provide cover for or assist with Front of House if required, directing customers, serving customers face to face and via the telephone, operating the Leisure Management System to book customers into gym and exercise sessions, plan ahead and prepare for forthcoming bookings, review and add to the member database, retrieve booking information. and use the card payment system. Assist with cashing up procedures at the end of the day when required.
12. To act as an advocate for the company, promoting positive communication across the organisation, encouraging constructive and effective relationships. Have excellent, up to date product knowledge of the Company’s activities and be fully conversant with all existing and new services to make the most suitable recommendations to customers.
13. Complete mandatory training courses including online learning and work with the appropriate line manager to identify development opportunities that will benefit both the individual and the company. Participation in National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) training is an essential part of the post and requires the employee to attend regularly when arranged (minimum of monthly attendance required). Maintaining a current NPLQ is essential, with renewal of the qualification required every 2 years.
14. Provide cover for other Leisure & Fitness Advisors / Instructors during periods of holiday or sickness.
15. Be fully aware of Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plans for the facilities. Be aware of fire exits, assembly points and reporting mechanisms, to be effective in enabling the safe evacuation of the facility in the case of a fire or other emergency.
16. Carry out any other duties that are within the scope and grading of the post which could also be requested by the line manager or Operations Manager.
DESIGNATED CAR USER
A designated car user status has not been attached to this post.
Duties include work outside normal office hours on a rota basis, including early mornings from 6.00am, evenings to 10.30pm and weekends. The post will require the post holder to apply for an Enhanced (DBS) Disclosure. The disclosure will include details of any criminal convictions. Cautions, reprimands and final warnings and your application is required for the purpose of asking an exempted question under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 and that the checks requested are in accordance with the relevant legislation.
This is not a politically restricted post.
This post is subject to exemption with reference to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The above job description sets out the main responsibilities of Leisure & Fitness Advisor but should not be regarded as an exhaustive list of the duties that may be required. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder during the annual appraisal process.
All employees are expected to maintain a high standard of service delivery and to uphold the Company’s policies in accordance with equality and diversity standards, and health and safety standards, and to participate in training activities necessary to their job.
In addition to the above the post holder will also be responsible for ensuring that:
a) All necessary paperwork is carried out.
b) All duties will be carried out in working conditions normally inherent in the particular job.
c) A uniform will be supplied and must be worn at all times when on duty, the uniform must be kept clean and worn in good condition.
d) Some duties may involve working with classified dangerous chemicals and all COSHH regulations and agreed local procedures must be followed.
e) All duties must be carried out to comply with:
- The Health and Safety Act 1974
- Acts of Parliament Statutory Instruments and Regulations and Other legal requirements.
- Nationally and locally agreed codes of practice.