You’re not alone when you experience gym anxiety. When you mix an unknown space with unknown people, it is no surprise you’re a little anxious but, it shouldn’t hold you back from achieving your goals.
In this blog, we’ll explore why gym anxiety happens and offer some helpful tips on how to overcome it.
What is Gym Anxiety and why does it happen?
Gym anxiety is a common emotional obstacle that can prevent individuals from starting or maintaining a presence in the gym. It can stem from many different concerns or worries, such as:
- Lack of confidence: You may be feeling less confident than normal when coming face to face with unfamiliar gym equipment or exercises, the fear of making mistakes or looking foolish can contribute to anxiety. In all our gyms you will find a Fitness Instructor who is happy to help and show you around the facilities, reach out and ask. No question is a silly question!
- Comparing yourself: It’s easy to get into the habit of comparing yourself to others, especially when starting at a new gym. We all do it! Remember, everyone starts from somewhere and comparing your Chapter 1 to someone else’s Chapter 10 is unfair to yourself.
- Fear of judgement: Worrying about what other’s think can be a big trigger for gym anxiety. You may be worrying about your appearance, your outfit or your workout choice. The fear of judgement can be overwhelming and it is hard to deal with. However, the next time you find yourself becoming overwhelmed by this, surrender to it by becoming aware of the negative thought and say “and?”. Re-focus yourself and what you want to achieve and take action!
Tips on how to beat Gym Anxiety
- One step at a time: Don’t force or expect yourself to hit the ground running. Begin your gym session by setting realistic and small goals. Focus on achieving basic exercises, gradually increasing the intensity and building resilience over time. This method helps you keep in-control of your ability and may help you feel less overwhelmed.
- Knowledge is power: Educate yourself! Take some time to learn about different workout types, exercises and proper form. Talk to one of our fitness instructors or another gym member – the gym community is wealthy with knowledge and kindness, reach out and gain confidence in your abilities while also meeting new people.
- Bring a friend: Get your buddies to sign up with you, or have them make use of our 1-day pass! Having a workout partner can provide emotional support and make the experience more enjoyable and fun. Knowing someone for your first few times at the gym can help alleviate the anxiety.
- Celebrate every milestone: Recognise all your achievements, no matter how small. Track your development and watch your progress grow. It could be something as simple as making it to the gym for the 5th time, or being able to lift a heavier weight. Acknowledging your achievements is a great way to keep yourself confident, positive and motivated. Be proud of yourself!
- Seek support: If gym anxiety becomes overwhelming or persists over time, consider talking to a mental health professional. They will be able to help with any underlying issues that may be contributing to your anxiety. There is no shame in asking for help.
Take that first daunting step towards a happier, healthier you.
Gym anxiety is a common barrier people face, but it is one you can overcome with the right guidance and mind-set. Face the discomfort head on, believe in yourself and you’ll soon find it becomes a place of positivity and empowerment. You’ve got this!