Volunteer Role – Table Tennis Facilitator
To Meet and Greet Participants and create a friendly and welcoming environment for a recreational and social table tennis session.
Liberty Leisure Limited is a wholly owned Local Authority Trading Company of Broxtowe Borough Council with services including Sports Development (Get Active) and three Leisure Centres.
This Volunteer role is based at Chilwell Olympia. We are a fun and innovative place to work with a strong focus on our people, enabling them to be the best they can be. Chilwell Olympia is a large leisure centre with 3 sports halls, A Fitness Gym (Technogym), 3 exercise studios, 3 squash courts, 3 floodlit 3G football pitches, and 6 full size grass football pitches.
Why do we offer Volunteer opportunities?
Volunteers are integral to the local community and LLeisure has a target to increase the uptake of volunteers. It is with their continued support that events continue to run and projects develop. Volunteers play an essential role in reaching and motivating inactive people to become more active. We want to support volunteers who can assist us in developing activities at the Centre whilst improving the skills, knowledge and experience of the volunteer.
Why do people volunteer?
It provides an opportunity to develop your confidence, communication skills, coaching knowledge and skills in a controlled environment whilst making friends and having fun.
Who do we want to volunteer with us?
Skills and experience required: It is essential that you have a genuine interest in Table Tennis and have a passion for providing a quality service. Well presented, outgoing personality, friendly, flexible and a desire for sharing with others your established knowledge of the sport. You should have good communication and listening skills and be able to provide support and encouragement to the participants.
How do LLeisure assist?
Your understanding and confidence will improve through the company’s support and training to carry out the role and the opportunity to share your knowledge with others.
For those that wish to further their coaching career and utilise a qualification there may be support towards an instructing award in Table Tennis.
About the role
- Further to training, assist with the safe set up and take down of the sports equipment and supporting resources.
- Take on an organising role from the beginning to the end of the session.
- In liaison with the Duty Manager, ensure that the area and equipment is safe to use. If there are any hazards that cannot be overcome, point these out to the participants before you start the session.
- Help to create a friendly community environment and to help the session develop.
- Keep a register of those attending.
- Support, encourage and help the participants.
- Help participants to have the basic skills and knowledge of the sport to be able to play a fun game.
- Ensure that you are well briefed about any special needs of the participants involved i.e. levels of fitness, significant medical conditions, physical impairments or disabilities.
- Adhere to Company policies including the Health & Safety Policy and Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Be aware of and follow the procedures for reporting accidents.
Training Needed Prior to Commencing as a Volunteer